June 22, 2012 at 05:09pm
If you've been wondering whether or not to buy pet health insurance, you're not alone. There are many insurers who offer pet insurance plans, but policies and coverage vary widely.
For example, most pet insurers do not cover pre-existing conditions. However, some plans cover hereditary and congenital conditions while others don't. Some providers base their pet insurance costs on a usual and customary list of fees; others pay based on the actual veterinary bill for services. The list goes on. . .
This variation in policies makes it hard for pet owners to compare and come up with pet insurance that covers their needs and is affordable. Here are a few tips from the American Animal Hospital Association to help pet owners like you find the right pet insurance for your pet:
- Research pet health insurance policies before or soon after you obtain a pet.
- Understand when and how you will be reimbursed.
- Know what the policy covers before you enroll. (Does it cover pre-existing conditions? Overall hereditary conditions? How much coverage is provided for these conditions?)
- Get a second, third, and fourth opinion about a provider before you enroll.
- Make sure the providers you consider are licensed to operate in your state.
- Ask if specific conditions common to your pet's species or breed are covered.
- Look for independent websites that include pet insurance reviews by customers.
- Ask if the provider has a fee schedule or reimburses you based on actual fees charged. A fee schedule lists how much the insurer will reimburse you for various services; if your veterinarian charges more than the fee schedule indicates for a particular service or treatment (e.g., a broken bone), you will not be reimbursed for the difference.
- Ask if you can revise your policy before the renewal date and, if so, whether you will be charged for the change.
- Choose a policy that has a deductible and required co-pay you can afford.
Why Trupanion? Three good reasons:
- They offer one simple plan that covers surgeries, diagnostic tests, medications, treatments and hospital stays if your pet gets sick or injured.
- 90% coverage. Trupanion covers 90% of actual veterinary costs for approved accident and illness claims, less the exam fee, taxes, and optional deductible.
- No payout limits. Your pet receives unlimited lifetime healthcare coverage. Trupanion does not impose any per incident limits, annual limits, or lifetime limits on the amount of care your pet can receive. We think this is a really big deal!
Once you've done your research, the next step is to get a free quote. To get a quote from Trupanion, click on their affiliate ad near the bottom of our website home page: http://www.whiskerstotailspetsitting.com/
When you realize that one out of every two pets will experience a major injury or illness, it pays to have a good pet insurance policy. When those unexpected veterinary bills hit, you won't have to make the difficult decision between your vet's advice and your financial needs.